I consider myself a good Southerner and I tend to stick to tradition as much as anyone when it comes to welcoming in a new year. I never hang up my new calendar for the new year until January 1st ( much to my daughter’s chagrin) and I always eat my black eye peas on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. That’s not to say that I get up and particularly look forward to eating a big bowl of black eye peas. Culinarly speaking, black eye peas are pretty bland and can become pretty monotonous very quickly. But, like most inherently plain foods, black eye peas can handle all different kinds of flavor profiles. Especially spicy ones. And I LOVE spicy flavor profiles.
So, this recipe is something I whipped up to help liven up the yearly dose of black eye peas. Hopefully the extra kick of spice will guarantee us even more prosperity in the new year. It’s worth a shot anyway. Happy New Year!!
- 1 ( 15oz.) can black eye peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 ( 15 oz) can kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 T ground cumin
- 1 t. grated fresh ginger
- 1 t. kosher salt
- 1-2 T fresh lime juice
- 4 slices of bacon, fried and 1 T fat reserved
- In a large bowl, mix together peas, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, ginger and jalapeno. In a small bowl , whisk together the cumin, salt, lime juice and warm bacon fat. Drizzle over the pea mixture and toss to combine. Crumble the bacon slices and sprinkle on top. Serve warm or at room temperature.