Homemade Tater Chips

11 Oct

I’m not sure that I have ever heard of anyone who doesn’t love potato chips.  I’ve heard of folks who can’t eat potato chips, or “try not” to eat potato chips, and a few people who say potato chips go straight to their thighs, but I can’t think of a single instance where someone said to me, “I hate potato chips.” I’m sure they are out there. Like people who don’t like cheese or chocolate, but I’m not sure how I feel about folks like that.

Anyway, homemade potato chips are pretty dang easy. There’s really only 4 steps. Slice ‘em. Fry ‘em. Drain ‘em. Season them. Oh yeah, step 5 – Eat ‘em. There are a couple things to keep in mind when getting ready to make these crunchy morsels. First you want to make sure you slice them as thin as you can. You could use a food processor or (my new favorite tool!) a mandoline. I won this one from OXO at this past weekend’s Food Blog Forum and I am totally in love.  It’s sturdy, easy to use, and easy to clean. My three favorite things in the world!

Back to the chips. So, you slice as thin as you can so that your chips will be really crunchy. Heat up the oil and think about seasoning. I used my hubby’s barbeque rub that is called Butt Glitter. You can use whatever you have on hand or just use salt! It will be delicious. Make sure you fry those chips up until it sounds like they aren’t cooking any more, drain , and season immediately. Then you are ready to eat!

Homemade Tater Chips

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 7 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients

• 4 Large Russet potatoes and/or sweet potatoes ( sweet potatoes should be peeled)
  • 1 quart vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup BBQ seasoning ( or whatever your favorite is!)

Instructions

1. With a food processor or a mandoline, thinly slice the potatoes. Soak them in a bowl ice cold water.
  2. Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot until it reaches 350 - 375 degrees.
  3. Drain the potatoes and pat dry. Fry the potatoes in batches until they are crisp. ( The oil will almost quit popping when they are done). Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
  4. Sprinkle seasoning on immediately making sure to season all sides of the chips well.
  5. Serve and enjoy!
  6. Store in a brown paper sack for 1-2 days.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Did you like this? Tell everyone you know!! Share it:

26 Responses to “Homemade Tater Chips”

1. Belinda @zomppa October 11, 2011 at 10:39 am #

Whoa! You never have to buy a bag of chips again – or wonder where it came from – gorgeous!

2. Karen October 11, 2011 at 7:17 pm #

One to two days? I never manage to have enough left at the end of it to put in a bag. At all. They don’t even get to cool off. They’re just too good. And highly memorable with kids.

• jodiemo October 12, 2011 at 8:33 am #

I hear ya Karen!I was thinking there might be few people out there with much stronger will power than me. :)

3. foodie @ tasting spot October 12, 2011 at 12:36 am #

wow… no more buying indeed

4. Kathy - Panini Happy October 12, 2011 at 1:03 am #

These look fantastic! I finally got a mandoline this year but I’ve been too afraid to actually use it (even though it’s got a safety guard and everything). But I will very soon…sounds like these potato chips might be among the first things I make. :-)

• erinnish October 12, 2011 at 4:39 am #

Wow! They really look like original ruffles!

• jodiemo October 12, 2011 at 8:30 am #

And taste sooo much better. :)

• jodiemo October 12, 2011 at 8:31 am #

Don’t be afraid of that thing! I’m sure you’ll love it as soon as you try it. Thanks for stopping by!

5. Juls October 12, 2011 at 1:50 am #

How do you get them ridged? I’ve always wondered! Does the mandolin do that for you?

• jodiemo October 12, 2011 at 8:12 am #

Yes! That mandoline is awesome. It does the ruffle cut for me but any kind of slice will worm as long as it’s thin.

6. Mrs Ergül October 12, 2011 at 4:59 am #

Homemade potato chips! What’s there not to love?! My favourite flavour is sea salt and vinegar!

• jodiemo October 12, 2011 at 8:29 am #

That’s the hubby’s favorite flavor too!

7. Shannon @ Family Bites October 12, 2011 at 11:08 am #

Ok, first of all, beautiful pics. Second, I have got to get my hands on a mandoline so I can re-create these amazingly awesome chips, and third, with a name like “Butt Glitter”, how do you not sprinkle it on everything!!! LOL! That’s awesome!

• jodiemo October 13, 2011 at 8:44 pm #

Butt glitter is awesome on anything. Except ice cream. I probably wouldn’t put it on ice cream.

8. Anna October 12, 2011 at 10:14 pm #

I am a sucker for anything and everything homemade…And of course, I love potato chips!!!
    Can’t wait to reach step #5…Eat ‘em! Thanks for posting this!

9. tonmoy October 13, 2011 at 3:06 am #

They look absolutely fabulous. By the way, why exactly is a potato called a ‘tater’? I only identified them by the photos.

• jodiemo October 13, 2011 at 8:43 pm #

Sometimes I forget that people who aren’t from the South read this blog. A “tater” is a potato. We’ve got “tater” chips, “tater” tots, “tater” salad, and the ever popular mashed “taters”. It’s just how we talk. We can’t help it. ;)

10. barter411 October 13, 2011 at 1:09 pm #

I noticed the chips at the store are really expensive these days. So how much can a person save making their own? For instance, when you figure the time, you save more than minimum wage and you don’t have to pay the taxes, not to mention your celebrity status at home.

• jodiemo October 13, 2011 at 8:40 pm #

You can buy a lot of potatoes for the price of a bag of chips. Celebrity status ,of course, is priceless.

11. Jenn (Cookies Cupcakes Cardio) October 16, 2011 at 11:34 pm #

Wow! Those look like the real thing!

12. Michelle October 28, 2011 at 7:30 pm #

Visiting from Drick’s Tailgating Game Week.
    How can I not click on a link that says “Butt Glitter?” LOL.

• jodiemo October 29, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

I know. Right?! In the future I’m going to try to come up with awesome names like that for all of my recipes. :) Thanks for stopping by!

13. Anita Menon November 18, 2011 at 6:44 am #

Lovely chips. Look so fresh and crunchy.

14. J May 15, 2012 at 11:41 pm #

Wow those chips look amazing. I’ll be making these soon…. but I think I’ll try to cook them in the oven.

• jodiemo May 16, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

Good luck! Make sure you spray them with plenty of cooking spray before baking them.

Trackbacks and Pingbacks