Macaroni Salad

19 Feb

The last several days have been absolutely gorgeous here. Mid-60′s to low 70′s. Bright and sun-shiny with a little breeze. And not a single bug in sight. It has been so hard for me to focus on the task at hand. That task being packing an entire house and being ready to move in about 2 weeks. But I just can’t help it. It’s just so beautiful!!!

Of course, days like this only make me think of the hot summers and cold dishes of my past. And being Southern means that there is a whole lot of cold macaroni salad in my past. Although I have always loved the creamy texture of the pasta salads of years ago, I was always a little turned off by the super sweetness of it all. For some reason, I just don’t really like sweet pasta salad. I prefer the tang of citrus or vinegar over the gobs of sugar you find in the typical summer salad.

So, this pasta salad is something of a compromise. It’s got mayonnaise in it ( because I love mayo!) and a good hit of lemon, but I left the sugar out because I’m sweet enough. Just ask my husband. Right honey?

Honey?

Anyway, this pasta salad will keep in the fridge for up to a week and goes great with just about anything, but especially barbecued pork, hamburgers, and grilled chicken.

[print_this]

Macaroni Salad

serves 8

16 oz. macaroni, cooked and rinsed

2/3 cup lite mayo

1/3 cup milk

juice of 2 lemons

2 stalks of celery, plus the celery leaves, finely chopped

1/2 small red onion, finely chopped

2 large carrots, finely chopped

1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley

2 t. salt

1 t. black pepper

In a large bowl, whisk together mayo, lemon juice, 1 t. salt and milk.

Stir in chopped veggies and parsley and mix well.

Stir in cooked macaroni and toss until well coated.

Season with remaining salt and pepper and more lemon juice if needed. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until chilled. Serve and enjoy!

*Note* If the macaroni salad seems to dry out in the fridge, add in a splash or two of milk before serving.

[/print_this]

Did you like this? Tell everyone you know!! Share it:

14 Responses to “Macaroni Salad”

1. Prerna@IndianSimmer February 19, 2011 at 9:29 pm #

Will it be cliched if I say that I TOTALLY love pasta salad? But I do! n this one looks amazing!

2. Monica February 20, 2011 at 8:43 am #

Ohhh I have not had or made pasta salad in ages! And this one sounds good – really, really good!
    And you are right, the days here in Florida have been awesome too… the only bad side, most o them are spent INSIDE at WORK – boo hoo!

• jodiemo February 20, 2011 at 8:44 am #

I feel a hooky day coming on!

3. Heather@At The Picket Fence February 20, 2011 at 11:08 am #

Jodie you are making me crave summer so bad!  This looks delicious!  I think macaroni salad is one of those things that gets better with age…if it lasts that long around here.

Hey I thought of you,  This month’s Southern Living has the most perfect dish for your Tuna Tuesday.  It was tuna patties like hamburgers but tuna on buns.  It looked so good.  You should see if you can find it.  If not I’ll type up the recipe for you and email it to you.  Anyway, made me think of you. ;o)

Heather @At The Picket Fence

• jodiemo February 20, 2011 at 8:29 pm #

I’ll have to get that one. I’m always looking for new tuna recipes. Unless of course you would like to do a guest post for me while I am moving. :)

4. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets February 20, 2011 at 12:12 pm #

Beautiful shots! And I love all sorts of pasta salads. Delicious!

• jodiemo February 20, 2011 at 8:30 pm #

Thanks so much!

5. Dana February 20, 2011 at 10:46 pm #

I like more acidic pasta salads, too.  This one sounds great!

6. Jennifer @ Jane Deere February 21, 2011 at 8:27 pm #

OH, this takes me back…

I LOVE cold macaroni salad and fried chicken! Southern to the core!

7. Ayesha Jameel February 27, 2011 at 11:05 pm #

Your dishes look yum … loved the presentation of the food ! good workyou can view some of my dishes on http://kitchensojourn.blogspot.com ! i would be really happy if you follow it :)

8. Jeanne June 27, 2013 at 4:58 pm #

Thank you!! I hate sweet macaroni salads! This sounds great.

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention Eatin' on the Cheap » Macaroni Salad -- Topsy.com - February 19, 2011

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Susan Rice, JodieMo. JodieMo said: NEW POST!! 72 degree weather calls for a nice summery Southern pasta salad! http://t.co/4hdstcB #food #recipes [...]

2. The Pot Luck Table « Convivial Affairs - November 12, 2013

[...] Macaroni Salad: To this recipe I added finely chopped red bell pepper, and cheddar cheese. I’m sure the recipe is great without them, but with them? Out. Of. This. World. [...]

3. Top 10 Best Macaroni Salads - March 22, 2014