Tuna Tuesday: Cheesy Tuna Corn Chowder

11 Jan

The South is completely frozen. We are all covered in at least a couple inches of ice. School is closed, the mail hasn’t run, and we are all beginning to go a little stir crazy. Lucky for us, Blaine has been home for the last couple of days, so at least I am not stuck in the house by myself with two kids with cabin fever. I am very thankful for that.  I pretty sure I would have gone completely nuts by now. Thanks to him I am only partially nuts.

Anyway, it’s Tuna Tuesday and a cold, icy day calls for a nice warm soup. This Tuna Chowder is perfect for snow days since it uses many ingredients you already have in your pantry. It’s very hardy and really quite tasty.  I think this soup and a big pan of cornbread will make everyone feel a lot better.

This recipe calls for milk, but if you really are snowed in I recommend saving the fresh milk you have and using your dry milk powder instead. Dry milk is much better in cooked dishes than in a glass by itself… trust me.

So, Happy Tuna Tuesday and I hope you all dig yourself out of the snow soon.

[print_this]

Cheesy Tuna Corn Chowder

1 medium onion, diced

1 T oil

2 c. peeled and diced potatoes

1 c. hot water

2 T flour

2 c. milk

1 can whole kernal corn, drained ( or use frozen)

1 can ( 7oz) tuna in water, drained

salt and pepper

1 t. dry rosemary

1t. dry thyme

1 c. shredded cheddar

3 T chopped fresh parsley

1/4 cup cooked, crumbled bacon

Saute onion in oil until lightly brown.

Stir in potatoes, thyme and rosemary.

Add water, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes until potatoes are very tender.

Blend the flour with a few tablespoons of milk to make a paste.

Add the paste to the pot. Whisk in the rest of the milk.

Stir in corn, tuna, salt, pepper, and cheese.

Bring just to a boil. Stir in parsley and serve topped with bacon crumbles.

[/print_this]

Powered by Linky Tools

Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…

Did you like this? Tell everyone you know!! Share it:

18 Responses to “Tuna Tuesday: Cheesy Tuna Corn Chowder”

1. Belinda @zomppa January 11, 2011 at 2:32 pm #

We are frozen here! Lovely warm chowder. Stay warm!

• jodiemo January 11, 2011 at 7:35 pm #

Us too! Thanks for stopping by!

2. Peggy January 11, 2011 at 5:15 pm #

Not so much ice here, but there’s snow everywhere! This chowder sounds fantastic and unique!

• jodiemo January 11, 2011 at 7:35 pm #

I would take the snow over the ice, but either way ITS COLD! Stay warm!

3. Cubicle January 11, 2011 at 6:41 pm #

Wow what an interesting recipe…I can’t wait to try!

• jodiemo January 11, 2011 at 7:34 pm #

THanks! I hope you enjoy it!

• Sarah Okeefe April 23, 2013 at 12:57 pm #

I am excited to try this recipe it sounds delish. About how many servings does this yield?

• jodiemo April 23, 2013 at 7:48 pm #

Great! About 3-4 depending on how hungry everyone is!

• Sarah Okeefe May 1, 2013 at 8:41 pm #

Thank you! It turned out wonderful. Everyone loved it.

4. Mary January 12, 2011 at 7:26 pm #

This sounds wonderful. I’m new to your blog and liked this so much that I spent time browsing through your earlier entries. I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I’ll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

• jodiemo January 12, 2011 at 7:31 pm #

I’m so glad you came by Mary! I look forward to reading your comments in the future! Enjoy!!!

5. doodles January 13, 2011 at 2:16 pm #

I found you thru PW so bookmarked for future visits. I must also say I am so sorry bout your ice we are in the west but have experienced your experiences………………hang on!!

• jodiemo January 13, 2011 at 4:10 pm #

Thanks for the encouragement. The ice has mostly melted, but it will be a few days before the kids are back in school. I hope my sanity sticks around until then. :)

6. Mary January 13, 2011 at 6:45 pm #

I’m just jumping back in to thank you for returning my visit. I hope you’ll stop by often. Have a great day. Blessings…Mary

7. scott October 27, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

Thanks for the recipe. I used it last year for our church “Trunk or Treat” and it went bye-bye in about 5 minutes. I’m going to double the recipe and make it again for this years Trunk or Treat tonight. Delicious.

• jodiemo October 28, 2012 at 6:22 am #

That’s so great! Thanks Scott! Happy Halloween!

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention Eatin' on the Cheap » Tuna Tuesday: Cheesy Tuna Corn Chowder -- Topsy.com - January 11, 2011

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by JodieMo, JodieMo. JodieMo said: Snowed in? Need a good meal from the pantry? You are gonna love this one! New Post! #recipe #soup http://t.co/ijrMb0r [...]

2. Eatin' on the Cheap » Tuna Tuesday: Baked Crab Mac-n-Cheese - February 8, 2011

[...] cheese don’t go together are idiots. I have proven them wrong in the past with the Tuna Chowder and now with this fan-freaking-tastic crab mac-n-cheese. Honestly. you people are lucky this post [...]