Tuna Tuesday: Cheesy Tuna Corn Chowder

11 Jan

The South is completely frozen. We are all covered in at least a couple inches of ice. School is closed, the mail hasn’t run, and we are all beginning to go a little stir crazy. Lucky for us, Blaine has been home for the last couple of days, so at least I am not stuck in the house by myself with two kids with cabin fever. I am very thankful for that.  I pretty sure I would have gone completely nuts by now. Thanks to him I am only partially nuts.

Anyway, it’s Tuna Tuesday and a cold, icy day calls for a nice warm soup. This Tuna Chowder is perfect for snow days since it uses many ingredients you already have in your pantry. It’s very hardy and really quite tasty.  I think this soup and a big pan of cornbread will make everyone feel a lot better.

This recipe calls for milk, but if you really are snowed in I recommend saving the fresh milk you have and using your dry milk powder instead. Dry milk is much better in cooked dishes than in a glass by itself… trust me.

So, Happy Tuna Tuesday and I hope you all dig yourself out of the snow soon.

Cheesy Tuna Corn Chowder

1 medium onion, diced

1 T oil

2 c. peeled and diced potatoes

1 c. hot water

2 T flour

2 c. milk

1 can whole kernal corn, drained ( or use frozen)

1 can ( 7oz) tuna in water, drained

salt and pepper

1 t. dry rosemary

1t. dry thyme

1 c. shredded cheddar

3 T chopped fresh parsley

1/4 cup cooked, crumbled bacon

Saute onion in oil until lightly brown.

Stir in potatoes, thyme and rosemary.

Add water, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes until potatoes are very tender.

Blend the flour with a few tablespoons of milk to make a paste.

Add the paste to the pot. Whisk in the rest of the milk.

Stir in corn, tuna, salt, pepper, and cheese.

Bring just to a boil. Stir in parsley and serve topped with bacon crumbles.

Powered by Linky Tools

Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…

Did you like this? Tell everyone you know!! Share it:

19 Responses to “Tuna Tuesday: Cheesy Tuna Corn Chowder”

1. Belinda @zomppa January 11, 2011 at 2:32 pm #

We are frozen here! Lovely warm chowder. Stay warm!

• jodiemo January 11, 2011 at 7:35 pm #

Us too! Thanks for stopping by!

2. Peggy January 11, 2011 at 5:15 pm #

Not so much ice here, but there’s snow everywhere! This chowder sounds fantastic and unique!

• jodiemo January 11, 2011 at 7:35 pm #

I would take the snow over the ice, but either way ITS COLD! Stay warm!

3. Cubicle January 11, 2011 at 6:41 pm #

Wow what an interesting recipe…I can’t wait to try!

• jodiemo January 11, 2011 at 7:34 pm #

THanks! I hope you enjoy it!

• Sarah Okeefe April 23, 2013 at 12:57 pm #

I am excited to try this recipe it sounds delish. About how many servings does this yield?

• jodiemo April 23, 2013 at 7:48 pm #

Great! About 3-4 depending on how hungry everyone is!

• Sarah Okeefe May 1, 2013 at 8:41 pm #

Thank you! It turned out wonderful. Everyone loved it.

4. Mary January 12, 2011 at 7:26 pm #

This sounds wonderful. I’m new to your blog and liked this so much that I spent time browsing through your earlier entries. I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I’ll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

• jodiemo January 12, 2011 at 7:31 pm #

I’m so glad you came by Mary! I look forward to reading your comments in the future! Enjoy!!!

5. doodles January 13, 2011 at 2:16 pm #

I found you thru PW so bookmarked for future visits. I must also say I am so sorry bout your ice we are in the west but have experienced your experiences………………hang on!!

• jodiemo January 13, 2011 at 4:10 pm #

Thanks for the encouragement. The ice has mostly melted, but it will be a few days before the kids are back in school. I hope my sanity sticks around until then. :)

6. Mary January 13, 2011 at 6:45 pm #

I’m just jumping back in to thank you for returning my visit. I hope you’ll stop by often. Have a great day. Blessings…Mary

7. scott October 27, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

Thanks for the recipe. I used it last year for our church “Trunk or Treat” and it went bye-bye in about 5 minutes. I’m going to double the recipe and make it again for this years Trunk or Treat tonight. Delicious.

• jodiemo October 28, 2012 at 6:22 am #

That’s so great! Thanks Scott! Happy Halloween!

8. Bregje Barzen March 18, 2015 at 5:54 pm #

Heel mooi!

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention Eatin' on the Cheap » Tuna Tuesday: Cheesy Tuna Corn Chowder -- Topsy.com - January 11, 2011

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by JodieMo, JodieMo. JodieMo said: Snowed in? Need a good meal from the pantry? You are gonna love this one! New Post! #recipe #soup http://t.co/ijrMb0r […]

2. Eatin' on the Cheap » Tuna Tuesday: Baked Crab Mac-n-Cheese - February 8, 2011

[…] cheese don’t go together are idiots. I have proven them wrong in the past with the Tuna Chowder and now with this fan-freaking-tastic crab mac-n-cheese. Honestly. you people are lucky this post […]