Stuffed Artichokes

17 Jul

My dream is to one day move out of suburbia and back into the country. I would like to have a few acres of land for the kids to run around on freely, I would like some chickens, maybe a goat, a clothes line to hang out laundry and a nice, big garden. And in this garden I will grow whatever I manage to not kill first. But what I really, really want to grow is artichokes. Lots of them.
I would like to grow so many artichokes that I am forced to put them in everything. Dips, gratins, casseroles, maybe even artichoke ice cream. I love artichokes.
Here’s the funny thing. I had never even heard of an artichoke until I met my husband and he made them for dinner one night while we were still dating. I’ll never forget it. We were sitting in our cozy little apartment and he plopped this strange looking thing in front of me with a bowl of butter and I had no idea what it was. He showed me how to pull off the leaves and eat them, and he even trimmed up the heart for me. It was an eye opening experience. I couldn’t believe that I had been robbed of eating artichokes for 20 years of my life. I have been playing catch up ever since.
Now artichokes are not cheap. Well, maybe they are in California, but not here in Georgia. So this is a splurge for us. But splurges are okay every now and then as long as you don’t go crazy. I’m sure everyone has a favorite dish they like to splurge on on occasion.
What’s your favorite splurge?

Stuffed Artichokes
4 artichokes ( or 1 per person)
3/4 cup ricotta cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 T olive oil
2 T butter
2 T lemon juice
salt and pepper

Mix together bread crumbs, garlic, cheese, parsley, and salt and pepper.

Stir into ricotta until well combined.

Wash and trim your artichokes by slicing off the stem and the tops and removing as much of the choke as you can with a spoon..

After trimming, place in a bowl of water and lemon juice to keep them from browning.
Then, stuff as much of the filling as you can in between the petals and in the center.
Drizzle with oil  and steam in a large pot with a steamer basket for 30 -45 minutes, or until a knife goes through the center with little resistance. Place in a baking sheet, drizzle melted butter over the tops and place under a broiler for 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Did you like this? Tell everyone you know!! Share it:

18 Responses to “Stuffed Artichokes”

1. Kath July 17, 2010 at 3:06 pm #

I've never attempted stuffed artichokes, JodieMo, but your photos make it look very do-able. Thanks!

2. Magic of Spice July 17, 2010 at 4:02 pm #

These are the prettiest stuffed artichokes I have seen in awhile:) Love them, and the photos are great!

3. Drick July 17, 2010 at 4:24 pm #

beautiful dish and a very tasty recipe – one of my favorite ways of eating artichokes, maybe 'cause there's so much good stuff going on… like your redention

4. Torviewtoronto July 17, 2010 at 4:25 pm #

Looks delicious

5. Jess--Sugar High July 17, 2010 at 4:55 pm #

This sounds fantastic!

6. CC Recipe July 17, 2010 at 7:29 pm #

The hubs loves stuffed artichokes and last time I made them, which is a few years ago now, I failed BIG time and haven't wanted to make them since, I might just have to suck it up and give these a try!

7. Spicie Foodie July 17, 2010 at 7:38 pm #

Great recipe I'm bookmarking this one. Our splurge is fresh seafood, since we live in a landlocked land and it's quite expensive unfortunately.

8. Belinda @zomppa July 18, 2010 at 12:50 am #

THIS looks SOOOOO GOOD. I hope you get your goat and clothes line soon. =)

9. Joy July 19, 2010 at 1:40 pm #

That looks wonderful. I love artichokes. I only tried to make them once and it didn't come out that well. I have to try this recipe.

10. Brie: Le Grand Fromage July 20, 2010 at 4:16 pm #

wow, those look fantastic! artichokes have amazing flavor and i love it when they pop up in dishes.

11. Adelina July 20, 2010 at 5:01 pm #

I love artichokes too… and my entire family! My next post will be with artichokes. Please come and visit!

12. Nanette August 27, 2010 at 8:56 pm #

Have made stuffed artichokes for years but never with ricotta.. I like the idea. I'm making them this Sunday for company..seriously thinking of using your recipe. Will let you know. BTW I put a little broth at the bottom of the pot and it adds extra flavor and moisture to the artichokes. Thanks. N
    cucinananette.blogspot.com

13. Nanette August 28, 2010 at 7:33 pm #

Jodie:I must be truthful… most cooks think that when it comes to a dish they have made for years esp. a recipe that has been passed down, their recipe has to be the best. Well, I'm humbled…your recipe is wonderful. Ricotta in the stuffing was not something I'm familiar with, now it's the only way I will make my artichoke stuffing! Brava, Jodie. I still recommend some broth at the bottom of the pot, so you can baste the artichokes. I also made only three with the amount of ingredients you suggested because I stuff almost every leaf! May I post your recipe on my blog with pictures I've taken? Of course, I will give you the kudos. A most impressed food blogger…N PS: Your site gives me a bit of a hard time..scrolling is very slow and it froze…could you be kind enough to email the recipe to me at anawim3@verizon.net (just the text..no pictures)
    cucinananette.blogspot.com

14. Maggie April 13, 2013 at 4:13 am #

40-some years ago, just couldn’t find artichokes in small-town-Indiana. But we loved them prior to moving back here from AZ. My 3-year-old daughter woke from her nap on Thanksgiving day and threw a fit, refusing to eat our feast, because all she wanted was artichokes. She simply couldn’t understand our small-town grocery not selling her very favorite food. LOL Luckily, they’re now easily available here, and I fix them for my great-grandkids. Your recipe look fabulous!

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

1. Chickens and Eggs | Eatin' on the Cheap - March 18, 2013

[...] few weeks ago I was looking back through some old posts and came across one about what I hoped to have one day (and stuffed artichokes which by the way are delicious and I should totally make this again soon). [...]

2. Tempt Your Taste Buds With the Flavors of Fresh Artichokes | 1500 Calorie Diet Plans - March 17, 2014

[...] While I find that most people enjoy artichokes, many don’t purchase the fresh variety because they aren’t sure how to properly prepare them.  Growing up and being part Italian, artichokes were always part of our holiday celebrations.  Having watched my mom prepare them for so many years, I know that making them isn’t as difficult as many people think.  Fresh artichokes can be prepared in a number of different ways, but I’m going to focus on two that I know are the most popular.  To begin, there are Stuffed Artichokes. [...]

3. Using Your Bountiful Basket - 10/4/14 Distribution - A Reinvented Mom - October 4, 2014

[...] – includes step by step photos.  We like to eat them with a little lemon & mayo. Stuffed Artichoke – we’ll probably eat our artichokes straight-up, but this preparations looks [...]

4. Sip & Sip w/ Devoted Foodie 10/5 | Devoted Foodie - October 5, 2014